Saturday, June 27, 2009

A great vacation

Mark and I just went on a great vacation!! His parents took all of their kids and spouses on a church history tour. No Grandkids!!!! First of all I have to thank my parents for driving all the way up from Colorado to spend a week with my kids plus brought 2 more grandkids from Colorado. I think the kids had fun -they called me grandma for a couple of days.

We flew out of SLC at 7am-which means being to the airport at 5:30am which means getting up at 3:30am-not a fun start to a vacation!! We landed in Cleveland and drove to Cheektowaga, New York at got to our hotel about 7pm so a very long day but hey we were there! The next day we went to Palymra and did the sites there (Sacred grove, Smith family home, Grandin Press). We did a session at the temple that night. It was the first time we all had been in temple together since Mark and I were married 14 years ago. I was double lucky because my grandparents from Colorado are serving a mission there and I saw them. I also saw my cousin (briefly) and his family who visiting from Tennessee.




















The next day we traveled to the Peter Whitmer farm and Harmony, Pennsylvania. I loved being in the same places that such great people had been. I recently read and have since reread a book titled Beloved Emma that is such a great account from Emma point of view of what went on in their lives.


















The next day we went to church in Palmyra and then drove to Niagara Falls-way cool!! We got tickets for Maid of the Mist-so worth it!!!





















The last of site-seeing was to Kirtland, Ohio. That was such a great experience. We saw the Kirtland temple, Newel K Whitney Store (with the school of the prophets), Isaac Morley farm, John Johnson farm (place of Joseph's tar & feathering).






















I had the best time getting to know Mark's family so much better. I laughed so much my stomach muscles ached. I gained such a great testimony for myself and of those who helped to get the church started. I would highly recommend this trip for everyone. Call me if you want to see more pictures and here the stories. Maybe we can have a night of a slide show at my house!!

3 comments:

Autumn said...

Looks like a great trip! What an amazing oportunity. Wish you could of snuck me in your suitcase. :)

So glad you and Mark were able to get away and go. Love the pictures.

The Karrens said...

It was good to see you (briefly). What an amazing place to be. We should have a slide show together. Glad you two had fun.

Erin Ellsworth said...

Fun! You and Mark look like you had a great time. Beautiful pictures of the Falls and Grove!
Glad you are back safe!